Authors Welcome!

Thursday, August 28, 2014

SPOTLIGHT ON AUTHOR: JAMIELYNN BOOTHE

AUTHOR: JamieLynn Boothe
Birth date: January 30, 1967

Where are you from: I was born in Roanoke, Virginia but when I was 5 years old we moved to a small country town about the size of Mayberry called Moneta, Virginia. I currently live in Torrington, CT.

A little about yourself `ie your education, Family, life etc: I grew up in a small town where I couldn’t get away with anything it seemed. My High School wasn’t too small or large but it was a good school. I was somewhat shy in school and didn’t have many friends. People looked at me as a target to bully or avoid. Eventually though it made me stronger. I don’t want to talk about family because of a lot of events that aren’t good, sorry.
My life, like so many others, hasn’t been an easy one. A lot wasn’t in my control but a lot came from decisions that I had previously made. Today my life is better. I take the steps to make changes that I need to make to make it better and I am much happier than I used to be. All my life I struggled with three huge things…1)My sexuality, 2)My gender and 3) Addiction. Today after so many years of those struggles (which include homelessness, unemployment, suicide attempts, treatment centers, etc) I accept that I am a Transwoman, I accept my sexuality of being bisexual and I am now clean from all drugs for 2 ½ years. My dreams are coming true and so many more great things are on the way for me.

Tell us your latest book news? I recently have been blessed with an awesome publishing company, Beau Coup Publishing, and my first novel, Nightmares and Dreams has been published. I am currently working on the sequel for that. I also have ideas for a Romance series and a couple more books.

When and why did you begin writing? I finally began my first novel two years ago, August 2012. I had always wanted to write and be an author, but for many years due to personal issues I never actually gave it a serious attempt. Now however it is my passion and I love doing what I do.

When did you consider yourself an Author? The moment I wrote the last paragraph in my first novel.

What inspired you to write your first book? A huge inspiration for me was being tired of struggling all my life and wanting it to be better. I read a lot growing up and I knew I could write great stories like I read. Two years ago, I finally sat down and started writing my first novel.

Do you have a specific writing style? A specific writing style Hmmmm, I reckon I would say all I do is write from my heart, from my gut. I love writing from my experiences, what’s going on in society and combining them to create a vivid story that will grab the readers full attention.

How did you come up with the titles? I thought about what the story was about. About how having to go through that would be an absolute nightmare. I wanted to make it an inspiring ending, with hope and love. I wanted to tell how even through Nightmares, someone’s dreams could overpower them and come true. So I named it Nightmares and Dreams.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? Yes, that no matter what you are struggling with, Love is the most powerful thing in the world. With Love you can overcome anything. Also there is addiction and struggles with gender and sexuality in it, with the character, Allen. I shaped him the way I did to show everyone that those struggles are powerful but if you can tear those walls down and break free from the iron clasps, happiness and recovery is more powerful and happiness will be bountiful.

How much of the book is realistic? In Nightmares and Dreams, the entire book is realistic. It is based in my hometown, Moneta, Virginia. The only thing I can think of as far as places go that I created is the diner and Heathers salon. The events, lifestyles and everything else has either happened or could happen in real life.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? What occurs in the story I created. However it does happen unfortunately in our world as we know it. The character, Allen, I will say that I am a lot like him. I will let you read the book to figure out what I mean by that.

What books have most influenced your life most? Anything by Nicholas Sparks but some of my favorite books in my life are The Exorcist, Second Chance Grill, The Alaskan Heart Saga, and almost anything by Dean Koontz. I love a lot of authors work though so there’s too many to mention.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? Definitely Nicholas Sparks, no doubt.

What book are you reading now? At the moment I’m not. I have plenty to read though, but I have been so busy working on promoting Nightmares and Dreams and writing the sequel I haven’t had a lot of extra time.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? Tiffany Carmouche, Marni Mann, Ginger Ring, Sable Hunter, Izzibella Beau, Scarlette Jade an actually quite a few more 

What are your current projects? I am working on the sequel to Nightmares and Dreams. At the moment I am calling it, Dark Moments.

Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members: Narcotics Anonymous

Do you see writing as a career? Writing is my career. I do currently work at a factory but only in order to eat and have a roof over my head. I have complete faith though that the day is coming that I will not be required to do that anymore.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? No, it is perfect exactly the way it is

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? I wanted to create different worlds in order to escape the horror I lived in.

Can you share a little of your current work with us? I am writing the sequel to Nightmares and Dreams. It is also a romance thriller, but the main characters are two that were in the first book. All of the characters in the first do play a role however. Tracy and Brad are the main characters and go through their drama. I can’t really reveal too much, but it will be as exciting and thrilling as the first, if not more.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? Mainly being focused and having enough time to sit and actually write. I’m a busy girl lol.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? Nicholas Sparks, he is a craftsman and genius in how he involves his characters within their chaos and drama but combines the heartache and love. Every book I have read by him has touched my heart and soul and yes I cry at all of his books.

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)? not yet, but I hope to one day when money has gotten better.

Who designed the covers? Jennifer Stevens with Beau Coup Publishing

What was the hardest part of writing your books? There are some areas that was difficult to write because of the hatred and violence. I am not that way and I had to make it as realistic as possible so they were hard for me to write.

Did you learn anything from writing your books? Patience, dedication, honesty and hard work pays off. Also, and very importantly, if you have a passion and apply it, it can form into a beautiful thing that only brings more happiness into your life.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Write, every day. Even if it’s only two hundred words, write. It doesn’t matter if it sucks or not. You will have to revise and rewrite anyhow. That’s part of the process. Never give up.

Do your have anything specific you would like to say to your readers? Get ready for a rollercoaster ride of emotions lol

Do your remember the first book you ever read? Wow, I remember one of them being part of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series, and Little House on the Prairie.

Other than writing do you have any hobbies? I used to have more time and when I did I enjoyed drawing and playing the guitar. I plan on doing that more down the road, and playing golf.

What TV shows/films do you enjoy watching? My favorite shows are sitcoms like, M*A*S*H, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Football of course, as far as movies I love comedies, and drams and cartoon movies the most but an occasional horror and martial arts movie is good too.

Favorite foods / Colors/ Music: Foods: Southern and Italian are the best. My favorite color is Purple and for music I love Country, Classic rock, the 80’s and easy-listening.

If you were not a writer what else would you like to have done? Maybe a hairstylist or make-up artist

Do you have a blog/website? If so please share your links. http://jamielynnboothe.wordpress.com/




Are you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc. Please share those links also.



No comments:

Post a Comment