Authors Welcome!

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Spotlight on Author Trinity Roberts

Welcome Trinity...
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always loved writing, but it took me a long time to realize that it was what I meant to do. I started writing articles in 2008 for side income while I was a stay at home mom. I was good at it, found myself excited to work each morning. After a while, it grew sale, and all I could imagine doing was write a novel.

How long does it take you to write a book?
I depends on the book and how much time I have to work on it. My first novel, ...And The Stars Fell Silent, took me about 9 months. I started writing one recently, and it only took me a few days to write 100 pages. However, I’m setting it aside to finish at a later date.


What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
My work schedule is hectic. I still write articles for income, so my days are long. Each day I wake up at 6:45 and get my daughter ready for school. After she leaves at 7:30, I start writing articles. In between articles, I do marketing. I spend hours contacting blogs and posting on social media. By the time I finish all that, my daughter is home. I spend time with my kids and I write novels after dinner when I have time. Sometimes I only get a couple days a week for them, or even just the weekends.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know if you’d consider it a writing quirk, but I have quirks from being a writer. I pay attention to the smallest details about everything. I notice tiny inconsistencies in book, movies, and stories people tell me. I notice facial expressions that don’t seem to match people’s moods. I notice how people react in situations... and I make mental notes about everything.


How do your books get published?

I publish them. I’m hoping to expand my publishing company one day and help other people become published, but right now, it’s just a vanity label.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I draw inspiration from everything. My ideas for my first book came to me out of nowhere. I can’t credit anything for that. A title for a future book, Whisper of Smoke, came from a line in a Meghan Trainor song. A title for another book, A Million Little Choices, came from something Sam said in the show Supernatural. I use past experiences, other people’s experiences, and things I find on the internet. Of course, much of it is just fiction from my own mind.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I didn’t write my first novel until recently. I began last October when I was 28. I published it at 29, on July 24, 2015. Before that, I wrote poetry and short stories. I started doing that when I was about six.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love reading, of course. I also like to binge watch shows on Netflix when I just need a mental break. I also like to take my kids to the park and the apple orchard. I’m hoping to start traveling soon. I want to see every nook and cranny of our beautiful planet.


What does your family think of your writing?
My family is so supportive. Everyone who has read it has called to tell me they can’t believe how long I hid my talent from them. I’d like to think they’re not biased. :)

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
How much work it is. I knew it would be hard, but I didn’t consider how hard. Between writing the book and marketing it, authors have to work from sun up until sun down. I also learned how small our royalties actually are. If you pay $15 for a paperback from an independent author, the author is only getting a couple bucks. The seller and the printer both take a huge cut. If they didn’t, there would be no business, but we have people pirating our books and not caring how little we already make with sales. It can be very discouraging.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve only written the one, but I have six others planned out already. I can’t pick a favorite. They’re all unique and so different from each other. The six are comprised of three different genres too. My debut will always have a special place in my heart, through.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Absorb the world. Take in everything you possibly can. Figure out why people do what they do and say what they say. Find out people’s secrets. Take a philosophy or psychology class. Absorb yourself in another culture. Do anything that will give you a broader spectrum about life.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I’ve heard from most of them. I receive a lot of compliments and suggestions. I don’t mind suggestions at all. They’re mostly about what they would want to read in my sequels. I appreciate that, because I want my readers to be happy. I appreciate all of the support.


Do you like to create books for adults?

My books are geared toward adults. I market them as YA as well, though, because I tend to write younger characters. The age range is basically 15 and up.

What do you think makes a good story?
Every good story needs emotion and real characters. I like back-stories. The more I know about a character’s past, the more I identify with and care about the character.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be a surgeon. I wanted to do transplant surgeries so I could make people’s deaths matter.

PLEASE LEAVE TRINITY A COMMENT! Be sure to check out her link! Thank you!


Stalker links:
www.twitter.com/_trinityroberts or @_trinityroberts
instagram: trinity_roberts_author

2 comments: