Authors Welcome!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Author N E Riggs is in the spotlight!


Meet Author N E Riggs.

Swift as the Wind

Mel is annoyed by almost everything: the imperial forces occupying her country, the fact that she can't fight against the empire, and the way no one respects her adoptive father, just because he looks like the Imperials.
Long ago, Mel vowed to do everything she can to fix things, and she won't let the stupidity of some of her own comrades stop her.

The people Mel wants to fight she can't, and the people who should be her allies want to fight her. If Mel has to fight everyone, she will.









Book 1: Tomb of the Moon

When Illera flees her village, she leaves the corpses of twenty of her enemies behind her. In a world of magical technology, the imperial occupying forces will chase Illera as far as they must, and they won't stop till they kill her. 
Five hundred years ago, the diemthe defeated their sister race, the lianthe, in a war that devastated the entire world. Since then, the diemthe empire has conquered the northern continent and much of the southern, forcing humans to serve in their military. The country of Giram has recently been annexed by the empire. Illera is a lianthe who has been raised by humans in a small village in Giram, all but forgotten by the rest of the world. She is five hundred years old, but young by lianthe standards. She longs to find her own people but has been hesitant to leave the only life she’s ever known.
Soldiers from the empire come to her village to capture her and eventually kill her. Illera barely kills the soldiers, but she is no longer safe in her little village. She must flee to the Twin Sun Kingdoms, the only place left in the world not under control of the diemthe. Even if she reaches the Twin Sun Kingdoms, there is a great wall at the border and no one from outside is allowed past. Only a handful of people are willing to help her, but each has their own agenda. On their journey, they must face spies, traitors, political machinations, duels to the death, outright war, and Illera's barely understood magic. Tracking her movements are soldiers from the empire and their diemthe commander, against whom she has no defense.









Author Interview

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? I wanted to write since I was young. I would read books and think up different ways for them to go.

How long does it take you to write a book? For a 50,000 word book, about a month.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing? I mostly write during my day job. Students rarely come in during my office hours, so that’s when I write. Technically, that means I’m always getting paid to write.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I mutter to myself while I write, usually swears. Not just when I make typos.

How do your books get published? 
I self-publish.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? No idea. One little thing will get lodged into my head, where it festers for months or years. Eventually, plot and characters form and then comes the book.

When did you write your first book and how old were you? 
I started writing in high school, but I never finished a book till grad school.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? I don’t like to feel isolated. When I write in my office at school, people wander past, so it’s fine. At home, I have only quiet, so I play instrumental music.

What does your family think of your writing? 
They don’t care.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? 
That I can do most of it on my own. Other than a line editor/proofreader, I have no help.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? I have written around 50, most of them unpublished. My favorite is the “Only the Inevitable” series.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? 
It probably helps to have assistance from other people. I wish so many times that I had help. I never know if my stories are any good since no one ever says anything.
I guess the main advice is to just write, write, and write some more.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? I’ve never heard from a reader.

Do you like to create books for adults? Most of my books have swearing and violence, so they’re definitely for adults. No sex, because killing is more interesting to me. I wouldn’t know how to write a story for children.

What do you think makes a good story? I hate illogical stories. If the plot doesn’t make sense, or if there are too many logic holes (which are like plot holes, but involving everything), I won’t read it. My left brain never turns off.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? I wanted to be an aerospace engineer (ie, rocket scientist). In university, I discovered I preferred my math without applications.

Any books in the works? I’m working on my 4th series, a sci-fi universe that multiple, semi-independent sub-series. I wanted a series with multiple entry points, one so open that I could write any story I wanted. I’m 12 books into the series right now.

What are your plans for the future? I want to write an urban fantasy/horror series spread out over more than one generation, about making a family with the devil. Hopefully, it will be less weird than it sounds.


Social Media Link: www.facebook.com/neriggsauthor
Author Bio: I am a math professor, so I like math. I also do martial arts: muay thai, pekiti tersia kali, and jiu-jitsu. I like to watch tennis and take long walks. I'm from Chicago and currently live in Vincennes, IN.

No comments:

Post a Comment