Authors Welcome!

Monday, January 11, 2016

Spotlight on Author Carolyn Avis



WELCOME Carolyn Avis!


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

When I was 10 years old.

How long does it take you to write a book?

This book took me a little over a year.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

 I write mostly in the evenings and late night.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

 I speak the story to myself, playing out each character.


How do your books get published?

So far I've self published, but I do not intend to do it again.,


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Life, my mind and in dreams.


When did you write your first book and how old were you?

A year ago and I am now 65 years old.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Read. Take pictures for story ideas, collect words, and make up titles and or story endings to later be used.


What does your family think of your writing?

Most are excited, at first they didn't think much of it. I never let what others think stop me. I went back to college at age 60 and earned a degree so what family and others think does not stop me.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I've written several short stories and one children's book and of course this one that has been published. The most surprising things is how hard it is and how everyone wants to be in it. How much effort it takes to not talk about it to others, giving the story away or allowing people to change the flavor of your plot line. And the proofreading.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Two, I don't have a favorite perhaps the next one will be the favorite.


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Just write, keep writing, never give up.


Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

A few people have given what I guess is their take on critical reviews. Some thought I should add more action, others thought more love and romance should have been added. The overall opinion has been that my main novel is very good and that they would recommend it to a friend or buy it as a gift. One person told me it was too long.


Do you like to create books for adults?

Yes. But I started out writing children's stories I may add that to my writing list in the future as I get older.


What do you think makes a good story?

Lots of action and drama with surprise endings. Stories with plots taken from headlines or technology.



As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I wanted to be a Reading Teacher or a Secretary. 






Links where my book (Dogwood Summer by Carolyn Avis) can purchased:









http://bookstore.xlibris.com/AdvancedSearch/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=Dogwood+Summer+Carolyn+Avis


BLURB: Two small southern towns find themselves connected by several unexplained tragedies. That turn their peaceful country lifestyle into turmoil and suspicion One sadistic woman will do anything and kill anyone to get what she wants. . . A step up to the top of the elite echelon. Can detective Herschel stop her before she kills again? It all comes together during Dogwood Summer, the hottest part of the spring, during the bloom of the Dogwood Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment