Authors Welcome!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Spotlight on Mary A. Wasowski


Welcome Mary!
 
Thank you for being with us today!
 
 
 
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Early in my teen years. It started with poems and short stories.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Depends. My first book took nearly 10 months to finish with all the edits. First books are always a learning experience. Now I write multiple books at the same time. I’m averaging 4-6 months with the deadlines I set for myself.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

When I’m ready, I can easily put in 10 hours straight, but the downside is I usually forget to eat and drink. Thank goodness my family takes care of me

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I write mainly on my pc, and then I use my laptop for research. I would love to listen to music while I write, but I need total silence. My kitchen pantry needs to be stocked with my favorite Peanut Butter.

How do your books get published?


I’m Indie. I publish on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and use Create Space for my paperbacks I take to signings.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Good question. Again it depends. My first book was based on a short story I wrote over 10 years ago. I turned a 4 page story into a full novel. It just comes to me. I could be watching TV or listening to music and it just pops. Once I choose the idea and outline it out, I do extensive research. I try to be as factual as I can.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

August 2012. I was 41

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Read

What does your family think of your writing?


My husband and children are very supportive.
 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How comfortable I became as I developed my writing style.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

5 novels. Forever, Book One in the Forever Series

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Pace yourself. It’s not a race to the finish line. In the business we are in, the pond is very small. As time goes on, you will get accustomed to what works for you. Learn as much as you can and be open to critiques and suggestions.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?


I love my readers. I encourage them to reach out to me. I get private messages on my author page, I also receive e-mails. They are all wonderful to receive. It’s usually how much they enjoyed my books, or anxious for the next one to be released.

Do you like to create books for adults?

Yes.


What do you think makes a good story?

Character development. I love building the back stories for my characters.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

Radio Broadcasting



No comments:

Post a Comment