Authors Welcome!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Author Spotlight

Welcome Author Karli Rush to the blog everybody.
 
She is going to share with us a little about her self
 
and her writing.
 
We are so happy you are here Karli!

 
 
 
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I didn’t grow up wanting to be a writer. I wanted, more than anything, to be a dancer. But it wasn’t until a few years ago that I considered writing. Vivid and constant dreams along with someone telling me to start writing them down is how the world of writing started unfolding for me.
How long does it take you to write a book? I write anywhere from 120k words to 22k novellas. It really depends on exactly what I’m trying to accomplish. Sometimes I write weekly on my blog, giving you one scene at a time and then wrap that all up into a book in the end. This could take three weeks to six months. It’s not so much about the time as it is about the story.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing? I’m inside a box. It’s an act of magic, in my opinion, that I get anything written. I have a son with autism and that, by far, is my priority. I squeeze in writing into the slivers of time that are left.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I run down these rabbit holes when I’m researching a book and I could start off looking up the best restaurant in Tulsa and wind up researching a sunken town. I never really know where the story will lead me.

How do your books get published? By me and my partner, Amazon. Being an Indie Author allows me the freedom to explore any door that opens to find out the best way of publishing my books and so far the winner is Amazon.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? If you’re asking about inspiration for my stories, then the answer is life. Everyday life is something I observe and affects me. I guess that my writing helps me cope and deal with things in a sense.


When did you write your first book and how old were you? Thirty-eight, I know, late bloomer, but I will say this, if it wasn’t for all of the life experiences that I’ve come across then I probably wouldn’t be a writer to begin with. I’ve experienced so much that has changed and inspired my life which gave me a deep desire to write about it all. Without that then I probably wouldn’t be here right now.

What do you like to do when you're not writing? I can only sit still when I’m typing away at my laptop. When there’s a break in my writing I’m doing Pilates, mountain biking, hiking and anything to do with my family. I grow a garden every year and keep busy out at the lake too.

What does your family think of your writing? They are proud and supporting, my husband, who is my best friend, is my formatter and quasi proof reader and yay or nay-er on my book covers.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? How supportive other authors can be of me and my work. There are some pretty fantastic readers out there too. I’ve been very lucky to have a great mixture of fantastic ladies who are now friends of mine and I never expected that to happen.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? On June 1st my tenth novel, Let Your Heart Drive, will be released. I have three novellas out there too, Seducing a Mermaid, Nine Lives, and The House. I have three series I’m writing, only Crescent Bound is complete, with No Death for the Wicked and Veil Realms expecting to have book two out sometime soon. And my favorite is Pine Needles, book one in the Veil Realms series. I think that Pine Needles, above all the other books, challenged me the most and I was able to create a very unique world. I really enjoyed writing it from beginning to end and can’t wait to dive into book two, Citeron. I’m including a link to the audio sample of Pine Needles, in case you want to hear a little from Selene and her world.

Pine Needles - Audio Sample



Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? Write about something you know and something you feel passionate about. Write from your heart and never hold back. Give everything you have to it, then, and this is the hard part, set it aside and do something else or write something else. Go back to it once it’s not occupying your thoughts anymore and see what you have with fresh eyes. Rewrite what you don’t like and keep going until you are satisfied. Never let anyone tell you that you can’t and never give up on your dreams!

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? Yes I do and I recruit them into my street team to help me promote. They are the most epic people I have in my life. They are kind and supportive. They seem to genuinely love what I write and I couldn’t ask for better people to surround myself with.

Do you like to create books for adults? That’s really who I aim my books at. I write new adult and focus on eighteen and above readers.

What do you think makes a good story? Originality and the skill to relay every emotion that you can think of.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? A dancer. When I was a little girl I took dancing lessons from ballet to jazz. My instructor was the lead dancer in the Trail of Tears drama show. She inspired me on so many levels with her grace and dignity that I truly believe her inspiration carries on with me, even today.



 

Here’s Let Your Heart Drive Blurb –

I live in the shelter of darkness.

This darkness holds a secret over me… one that I have come to protect and in return it controls and holds me back. It’s time to start fighting against it and break free. To become the unrestricted woman I yearn to be. 
For this to happen it will take a sixteen hundred mile road trip to let go of all that I fear and hopefully discover that the darkness doesn't lurk everywhere. I stand on the edge overlooking a horizon of possibilities for the first time. Will I let my heart drive… to where it needs to be?

A unique romantic tale of one girl, one road, and a chance meeting with someone that will change everything in every way.

 
Crescent Bound - book 1 (paranormal romance) - is free. Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007E5OD2U

 
Other links to stalk me -



 
 
image
 
 
 
 
 
Karli Rush (@KarliRush) | Twitter
The latest Tweets from Karli Rush (@KarliRush). I'm a romance kinda girl, but I have a Stephen King heart. Author of The Crescent Bound Series, Daylight, Pine Needl...
Preview by Yahoo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment