Authors Welcome!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Author Spotlight

WELCOME JESSICA CAGE!
Thank you for being here today.
Please tell us a little about yourself
and your career as an author.
 
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I think I have always been a writer, it’s something that came naturally to me. Writing was an escape for a very emotional young girl. I didn’t realize that I wanted to be a published author until I was pregnant with my son. That was when I decided that I wanted to share the stories that existed inside of my mind with more than just my journal pages.

How long does it take you to write a book?

Usually a couple of months to complete first draft. I don’t keep a standard writing schedule. That is because my characters don’t allow it. One book it will take me a month to write and another will take a year. It just depends on how open the characters are with me and if the decided to give me the silent treatment.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Total Random Chaos! That is about how I can put it. When I am deep into writing, everything else gets thrown out of whack. I just simply cannot ignore the words when they are flowing freely.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I write half my book, go back and edit/revise and then move on. This is basically because my memory is just that bad. I often forget what I have already written and need to refresh my memory. It also helps me to stay in touch with my characters and I get to understand them better because I will often have moments when things click where they didn’t before.

How do your books get published?

I am self-published. I have never submitted to a publisher. It never really appealed to me. I still have so much growing to do and I am loving this world of self-publishing so much I think it will be a while before I attempt to go the traditional route.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

Life, dreams, and my childhood. Everything inspires me even when I am unaware of it.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

Technically I was about 8 years old and I wrote it for the Young Authors Program. But as an adult I wrote the book when I was 21. The book is called The High Arc: Revitalized and is the first in a series of books about and alien race of vampires.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Craft. I love working with my hands, sketching, painting, and creating whatever I can. I often find when my characters are quite it is because the other mediums are calling for my attention.

What does your family think of your writing?

They love it. Especially my mother. I write Paranormal Romance mostly. This stems from a love instilled in me by my mother. Thanks to her Sci-Fi Saturday tradition when I was younger. She loves seeing what worlds I will create and is one of my biggest cheerleaders.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I learned that my mind can come up with some things that are pretty out there. I am currently working on the second book to my Siren Series and so far I am shocking myself more and more with every page.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

To date, I have 9 published titles with a few unpublished and I will say my favorite has to be Siren’s Call. It is the book when I really stepped outside of the “safe zone” and challenged myself as an author. It is also my reader’s favorite and consistently out sells its brothers and sisters.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Write for yourself. I realized once I stopped trying to give everyone what they wanted and just wrote what came naturally to me, the process was so much easier. Listen to your characters and let them guide you. Also, grow a thick skin. Without it, you won’t last long in this industry.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I do and I love it! It ranges depending on who is contacting me. Usually when a reader goes out of their way to reach an author it is because they simply LOVED their work. From time to time you will get someone who has complaints but even that is cool to me because if they are nice it can be helpful. And if they are mean, well then delete, block, and repeat. The last message I got was from a woman inviting me to her book club group. They all read it and loved it so much and wanted me to come out. Best message EVER!

Do you like to create books for adults?

Yes. Right now it is where my mind is and I don’t want to force writing something that I am not absolutely into.

What do you think makes a good story?

Unpredictability, excitement and intrigue. I love to get lost in a story and not feel as though it has anything to do with the real world but that it is totally believable. In my writing I always try to bring something new and unpredictable, something completely my own.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

Ah, the answer to that question changed daily, from a fashion designing lawyer to an artist roaming the streets of Paris. One thing was consistent, I wanted to do something where I would be creating something new to share with the world. Turns out, that is exactly what I am doing though I never really expected it to be with my writing.

Currently I am celebrating the release of Jeremiah, book 2 of The Alphas.
 
 

Book 1
 

Alpha’s word Alpha’s Law. That is what Malcom had always believed and followed. Until the day his Alpha decided to not only take everything from him; his love and his pack but also to exile him and declare him enemy of their people. Hunted down liked a rabid animal to be taken care of, he tries to do the best he can; he refuses to let his former Alpha turn him into a killer of his own kind. While trying to stay ahead of yet another hunting party, Malcom calls in an old debt from the unlikeliest of allies. Vincent has lost all sense of reality. He only lives now to exact revenge on those he thinks have betrayed him in one way or another. Once an advocate of saving their race he is now the one destroying it. He wants nothing more than Malcom’s head on a platter for as far as Vincent is concerned all of his troubles can be laid at Malcom’s feet. 
Now Malcom is called upon to take down his former Alpha, something he has wanted to avoid. However, things have gone too far. Vincent is so far gone he is sending children out to be slaughtered. Will Malcom be able to bring himself to help a people who have effectively turned their backs on him? If the time comes will Malcom be able to deliver the death blow? Is there any saving these people from the sadistic tyrant they call Alpha? Is there any hope of them walking away and starting fresh? Will the truth behinds Vincent’s madness be too much for his people to handle?

Book 2
 


 After leaving his home, tired of living in the shadow of a brother who hadn't known he existed, Jeremiah's life took an unusual path. A rogue wolf, he found himself part of a new pack, a team of elite mutated wolves fighting off all the things that go bump in the night. Science and magic combined to turn his wolf into an entirely new beast. Life was good, his wolf could run free whenever he pleased, and women flocked to him. 
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. When one of their targets escapes and injures his brother, Jeremiah is faced with a difficult decision. Stay in line and let his brother die, or defy his orders and try to save the only family he has left. Through a fortunate coincidence his journey home reconnected him with a lost love; but even she has her secrets... 

Demons never stay hidden for long... 


No comments:

Post a Comment