Authors Welcome!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Grant Miller is in The Author Spotlight

WELCOME Grant we are so happy to have you here today. 

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always loved to write, but I think I realized that I wanted to be a writer when I noticed that my passion for writing never faded regardless of where I was in life. Even during law school finals, I was writing short stories to help develop the characters in my recent novel “Achilla The Strong.” I figured if I can’t stop, I might as well make it a career move.


How long does it take you to write a book?
I would say it takes around a year to write and edit. I think of stories pretty quickly and I don’t forget.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I seldom set a schedule. I write after work and on the weekends, and I write until my focus fades.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have a tendency to write dialogue better than anything else. Most of my editing concerns adding details to create the scene, but I seldom have to change what people say.

How do your books get published?
I self-publish through Smashwords and Lulu.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
My main inspirations are anime and DC Comics, along with any novels I can grab and current events. I believe you can find inspiration anywhere if you tried. For example, Achilla Johnson was inspired by Wonder Woman, but she has traces of Son Goku, Naruto Uzamaki, Bruce Lee, The Punisher, Black Widow, and Toni Braxton. Meanwhile, her story is inspired by my childhood in Connecticut and the Old Testament of the Bible. It sounds completely random until you read the entire series.


When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I wrote my first book when I was a 20 year old college student. I never published it though. Frankly, I didn’t like it all that much.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Working out, boxing, basketball, and watching anime/action cartoons. They all give me fuel for my writing later.

What does your family think of your writing?
They love it! They’ve always been supportive.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I find that writing exposes how you view the world. Sometimes I shock myself with what I think of when I develop characters that are actually inspired from social commentary.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written three and published one. The third book “Angel of War” is my favorite, but it’s not out yet.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Don’t stop writing. Just like anything else, you get better with practice.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I have yet to receive a negative review. Most people describe my protagonist as strong or fierce. Others allude to a bigger plot and a desire to read more. They’re excited, and so am I.

Do you like to create books for adults?
I think my books are for anyone 17 and up, but I certainly like some of the adult content. I hate biting my tongue on subjects of everyday life.

What do you think makes a good story?
Conflict. Your protagonist MUST have a conflict to overcome, and that conflict could be anything. The characters who inspired Achilla Johnson always had conflict. Wonder Woman always has conflict with the gods and struggles to find her true identity as both god and human. Son Goku always has to save the world from someone. Naruto Uzamaki has to protect his village and earn the acceptance he never had as an orphan and outcast. Sasuke Uchiha has to restore his clan and find his place in the world. The Punisher wants to rid the world of criminals by any means necessary. Great stories have great conflict. Without it, the reader will wonder why he bought your book.


As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
What didn’t I want to do? I dreamt of being a meteorologist, a zoologist, a professor, and a load of things I can’t even count. The funny part is that I now have a wide range of knowledge of subjects that are of no use to anything but my writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment