Authors Welcome!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Spotlight on Author Diana Fisher

Welcome Author Diana Fisher to our Blog. She is going to share her interview with us and her books. 



When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I cannot remember when, but I wanted to be a writer my whole life.

How long does it take you to write a book?

It all depends on my mood and how the characters push me into telling their story. Sometimes I can easily knock out a hundred pages in a week, and other times, it can take a couple months to get to a hundred pages.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I work full time, go to school full time, and have a 5 year old. My writing schedule is basically when I can find the time.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I’m not too sure on that one. HAHA

How do your books get published?

I self-publish. I use the createspace.com and Amazon. I was fortunate to come across Teresa Mummert’s book, http://www.amazon.com/Indie-Author-Awesome-Teresa-Mummert-ebook/dp/B00GBL0J9E/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8 and I read this over and over again. Then, I found an editor in there and contacted that editor….and this woman, a truly amazing and wonderful author and person, Genevieve Scholl, and she helped me turn my dream into a reality.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

They come from anywhere. Movies, songs, other books, seeing someone in the mall that gives me an idea. Anything and everything. The ideas just hit me when they want to or something strikes them.


When did you write your first book and how old were you?

My first complete book, one with an actual plot, a beginning and an end, was Set My Soul Free which I wrote two-three years ago, But I just published on Amazon a month or so ago. Emmerson’s Heart was written last year and published in September. I have others that I never put up or went back through…which my grandma is still hounding me for the second part of one of my books that is sitting on my jumpdrive.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I like to watch “Chopped” and think that I am a chef in the kitchen…but it usually turns into making frozen pizza. I do like to cook and I like trying to make something good.

What does your family think of your writing?

My grandmother, aunt and uncle are the ones who urged me into following my dream and they always let me know how proud of me they are. As for the immediate family members, I think they are just laughing at me.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I’ve learned that my stories are good and people do have good things to say about them. But what really surprises me the most is….just how much my brain scares the bejeepers out of me sometimes. The things I can think of…yeah, it’s far out there.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have two published and one in editing that will be coming out at the end of May. I don’t know which one in my favorite. Emmerson’s Heart was a tear jerker in which I hated what her life was before the Hucks and then I hated what stuff life brought onto her even after living with a good family, but I liked the outcome and Ben! Set My Soul Free was my favorite because of how not one person has picked up the biggest hint in the book at all. I do love how it is different and it is one that needs to be read all the way through to make the fullest sense. Love, Lies, and Dog Tags is my favorite because it just…it’s about a soldier and I love anything with the military life. There is just something about this one that really gets to me. But this one I have started writing on, White Russian on the Rocks…This one, I would have to admit, is going to be super fun to write because it is a little different, once again, but I can take this and just run.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?

Suggestions to becoming a better writer….the biggest one I would say, and only because this helped me the most, read. Read anything and everything. Read different authors and check out their styles. Get on board with some people you can trust to give you good advice. I have a writing partner and she is the best. She has a great style and I have learned so much from her. If you can find someone like that, it helps. And don’t let anyone tell you “not to” or “that will never be good”. I let too many people in my life tell me “that writing is just a waste of time” and it brought me down too much. Keep on keeping on. I have a couple of good, trustworthy people who will tell me if something doesn’t sound good or are there to help throw around ideas. I’d say that helps so very much.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I do hear from my readers only because the people who have purchased my books are ones I know personally. They have good things to say about them and have mentioned things where there were issues, but the criticism helps! When it is constructive, that is.

Do you like to create books for adults?

I do like to create books for anyone to read really. I am not comfortable writing erotic scenes, but I don’t mind putting in a touch. I just like to create something that a person can read and enjoy. In my book that will be coming out at the end of May, there is heavy swearing in the read, but that is expected from soldiers, I believe and have heard how they speak. It’s not really for underage, but I do like to be able to write something my nieces would be able to read.

What do you think makes a good story?

Good characters and a good plot. If you don’t have a roadmap to where the story is going, how are we ever going to find our way through? I think there are a lot of great stories out there that have great plots. Even though they may not be in my genre, I can still appreciate a great plot with strong characters. Oh! I am a sucker for the character that grows within the story. That is a great bit there. I have this one character on one of my “In works” that no one has liked at all, but once you get into the middle of the story, you start appreciating her and liking her.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?

I can’t really say anything I wanted to be something, but I wrote all the time to escape the bullying and get into this world where “my characters” actually mattered and meant something to someone. And if I made those characters matter to someone, in fiction of course, it made me feel better in the real world. Then, when I did grow up, it was still in my life and I have my uncle tell me that if I wrote all the time, then to just keep writing and one day, I will become someone in the wide world of books. Now, being in my thirties, I have already filled my goals and now….to just keep at it and maybe I can help someone else go for their dreams.



Please take the time to leave her a comment. 

Thank you.


My website address is www.authordianafisher.weebly.com






No comments:

Post a Comment