Authors Welcome!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

PHOTOGRAPHER SPOTLIGHT


 
 
 
James Guest





Birth date: April 1st



Where are you from: Louisville, KY



A little about your self `ie your education, Family, life etc: I was born and raised in Louisville Kentucky. I’ve been married for 12 years. We have 4 children; Destiny 13, James Jr. 12, Gabrielle 10, and Bella 5.



Tell us your latest photography news? The most recent news is being the official photographer for the Centennial Festival of Riverboats. I was able to photograph the Belle of Louisville’s 100th birthday. I have had two photos published in magazines; the cover of S&D Reflector and in the November issue of Kentucky Monthly.



When and why did you begin photography (Taking Pictures)? I got into photography as a way to get out of the house after my leg was crushed at work. For the first two years after the accident I did nothing but sit around which caused my health to deteriorate. I then decided that I needed to find a way to get moving again. Photography is like a natural medicine for me. It has been the only thing that I have been able to find that I enjoy and is able to take my mind off the pain, even if for just a little while.



When did you consider yourself an Photographer? I really don’t know. There are times when I still don’t consider myself an “actual” photographer. I go out and create photos because I love to do it. It still amazes me that people follow my photography on Facebook and want to purchase them.



What inspired you to take your first photo? My family. I wanted to take every precious moment with them and preserve it so that I could always go back and relive that memory.



Do you have a specific photographic style? Not really. It honestly depends on what mood I am in at that time. Some of my photos and edits may reflect how I am feeling at that moment. So the style is constantly changing.



Is there a message in your pictures? Yes there is. The message is mostly to myself though. I let others interpret the photos however they like. What I meant by the message mostly being to myself is that no matter what is wrong in any given moment beauty still exists all around.



What other photographers have most influenced your life most? Honestly, before I started photography I did not even know who Ansel Adams was. I really had no influence.



If you had to choose, which person would you consider a mentor? I can’t say on here because if my wife reads it she will get a big head. That’s off the record right?



Are there any new sites that have grasped your interest? I would really love to go to Ireland for a photography trip. I do have a goal to photograph all 50 states sometime in the future.



What are your current projects? That is TOP SECRET. Just kidding. I have some thoughts for a few shoots but nothing worth mentioning.



Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members: I can name almost 3,000; my followers on Facebook.



Do you see photography as a career? No I see it as my passion.



If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything? I would have started photography sooner.



Do you recall how your interest in photography originated? I’ve always liked creating photos. I just never pursued it until after I was hurt.



Can you share a little of your current work with us?





Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your work? I find many things challenging about it. For example, creating the shot that you need during the golden hour. Most people have eight hours to get a job done while I only have one, if I am lucky.



Do you have to travel much concerning your work? Yes. I am constantly going to locations for a shoot.



What was the hardest part of photography? Creating that one in a million shot of course.



Did you learn anything from photography? Indeed I have. I have learned to slow down and look at the world around me. I now notice things that I never took the time to notice before.



Do you have any advice for other photogs? Shoot what you love.



Do your have anything specific you would like to say to your fans? I never thought of myself as having fans. But, I would like to thank all of the people who like the photos that I create for taking time out of their busy days to see the world through my eyes. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude to those who helped me get where I am today.



Other than photography do you have any hobbies? Nope.



What TV shows/films do you enjoy watching? I really enjoy The Walking Dead and The Game of Thrones. Other than that I really don’t watch TV.



Favorite foods / Colors/ Music: Food: Anything without a hair in it, I really don’t discriminate when it comes to eating. Colors: Green. Music: I listen to pretty much everything except rap and country.



If you were not a photographer what else would you like to have done? I wanted to be a police officer before I got hurt at work.



Do you have a blog/website? If so please share your links. Not at the moment, I’m currently deciding if I want a website.



Are you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc. Please share those links also. https://www.facebook.com/pages/James-G-Photography/124856084351005?ref=hl


Thank you James for this lovely interview!





 




No comments:

Post a Comment