Authors Welcome!

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Spotlight on Author Eryn LaPlant

 Interview with Eryn LaPlant...
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was 16 and a friend of mine, Dawn Taylor, and I would write love stories involving us and the New Kids on the Block. They were always so fun to write and trade later for reading. Pretty soon, I began thinking of new stories that had nothing to do with the early 90s boy band and the itch to constantly write was born.


How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends what else is going on in my life, honestly. If I am home and have 8 hours solid a day to write, I’ll have a book done in three or four months. But if I’m working out in the real world, then it takes a lot longer. My current WIP, Falling for Phoenix, has been 6 months in the making already and maybe 2/3rds finished.


What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I cannot write hungry, so I have to be well fed first. Breakfast, write, lunch, write, gym break before my son gets home from school, then write again in the parking lot of his school waiting for the little guy to come out. That, of course, is when I don’t have a day job. I double as a nanny. Currently though, I have a family I’m working with family who have a 15 month old, and newborn, so I write when I can during naps and meals. The little ones come first.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Chewing gum. It’s strange and on really good roll my jaw hurts as much as my fingers do at the end of the day. Somehow chewing like a cow, chomping, snapping, popping gum helps me zone out and get into the story. I greatly apologize to those around me when I write.


How do your books get published?
I have both a publisher for my historical fiction books and self-publish my contemporary romance series, Falling for Heroes. When it comes to the self-publishing side, I have an excellent editor, several first round readers, and design my own covers to bring those books to public. I love the process.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Any and everywhere! For Beneath the Wall, my first book, my parents had taken my sisters and me to see the Broadway play Miss Saigon, and I couldn’t shake the idea of what would’ve happen to the child at the end of the play. From there, my mind created the story of Mack Roberts and Julianne Parker.

Another interesting origin happened when I was visiting Plano, Illinois. The movie Man of Steel was filmed on their Main Street and I wandered into an alleyway wondering if during the filming were there a crime going on, would the actor who played Superman embrace his hero and try to save the day, or would he back out and not help the victim at all, knowing he was only an actor. The whole ride home my mind buzzed with the idea and the next day I started writing out the plot for Falling for Shock, the first book in the Falling for Heroes series.

All of my books, Beneath the Wall, The Blue Lute, Falling for Shock, Falling for Freedom, and Falling for Phoenix all have unique origins and in this time I love the feeling of the story coming over my mind and preventing from thinking of much else. It’s a rush of intellect and creativity flowing through one’s veins all at once. It’s really cool to experience.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
Publically published though, would be my historical fiction, Beneath the Wall, when I was 34. I had been writing it on and off since my college years and never did anything with it until my husband gave me the ol’ line, “You’ll never know if its good unless you submit it and see.” I did and was rejected many times until finally two publishing companies were heavily evaluating it and one jumped to the contract before the other. The rest is history (pun intended).



What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Oh gosh, everything. I love playing with my 8 year old son, Cameron. He’s extremely active and always has me playing soccer, football, basketball, or video games on rainy days. I also am a crossfitter and love to bike, run, and weight lift. This past month I finally passed over the 200 lb lifting mark. It’s so exciting knowing I’m lifting something that’s both heavier than myself and the people in my family. There’s a security in being strong, knowing that if something bad were to happen, I’d have the ability and strength to lift them to safety.

What does your family think of your writing?
I’m sure they’d say the PC answer that it’s awesome and they support me no matter what, but deep down I’m sure they aren’t thrilled when the dishes are piled in the sink and mom is MIA during a writing sprint. They know if I am on a roll not to bother me and that’s when problems happen.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
There’s more than being an author than just writing. There’s promotion, self-promotion, social media, and it can be quite daunting sometimes. Some days I’d rather just write and not be bothered with the rest.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I have 4 books on the shelf right now, and 2 in the works. And choosing my favorite is like asking to pick a favorite child. Each one has a special place in my heart.

Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Don’t listen to every little “better yourself” suggestion. Just write. Then when you edit, check some of those articles or pieces of advice such: don’t use adverbs; don’t get stuck on like, as, that, and very. If you get caught up on how to write while you’re writing, you won’t get your idea out and you will lose yourself in the rules.


Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

All the time! I’m love talking to people, especially readers. There’s nothing better than talking to people about the books you’ve created. It’s kind of like sharing an imaginary friend with a whole bunch of people.


Do you like to create books for adults?
Uhh, yeah! I love love and love love stories, so when I can talk about loving and kissing and holding, and yes, sex, then I’m a happy girl! My stories aren’t made for those under the age of seventeen.


What do you think makes a good story?
Number one in my books is having well-rounded, fully developed characters. The books are nothing without the characters and if I can’t relate to them, then I change and switch them until I am.

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
I was a fantasy maker when I was a child, always pretending to be someone else, dressing up, renaming myself. I wanted to be everything and was always changing my mind as to what I specifically wanted to be when I grew up. Who knew that doing all of those things was preparing me to be what I truly found is my gift… being a writer.


Thank you for inviting me here today and asking such insightful questions. If you’d like to read more about my writing processes, or behind the scenes moments in my books, please check out my blog: www.novelisterynlaplant.wordpress.com

You can also find me on social media:

Facebook: Eryn LaPlant http://on.fb.me/10fGbYs
Twitter: @erynalicia
Instagram: @erynalicia

You can find my books on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com, in paperback and ebook form.

Beneath the Wall

The Blue Lute

Falling for Shock

Falling for Freedom


Bio:

Eryn LaPlant is quite the Renaissance woman, describing herself as “a woman of many trades…a wife, a mother, an antiques collector, a painter, a baker, a gardener, a photographer, a historian and my favorite by far a novelist (well except the first two in my list).” Her romantic book series Falling for Heroes Series has really struck a chord with readers, sweeping fans of contemporary romance off their feet with Falling for Shock and Falling for Freedom. She is currently working on her latest novel in that series, Falling for Phoenix. Her foray into historical fiction has also left fans wanting more with The Blue Lute and Beneath the Wall.  Eryn is married and lives with her husband, son, and fluffy Pomeranian in Illinois.  


Best Selling Author of 
Beneath the Wall
The Blue Lute 
Falling for Shock
Falling for Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment