Authors Welcome!

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Spotlight on Karimah Grayson

Karimah Grayson, author of “The Shoulders On Which I Stand” and “Areebah’s Dilemma: Love or Deen”, is a Muslim American author. Originally from Philadelphia, PA, Karimah resides in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The love of water and the beautiful blue skies keeps her loving the Sunshine State. By profession she is an educator and enjoys watching her students mature into adulthood. Karimah recently began writing in the little known genre of Muslim fiction and looks forward to sharing the Muslim American experience with the world.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I remember telling my sister when I was in high school, I think I was in ninth grade, that I would write stories about her. So, I would say I first realized I wanted to be a writer when I was fourteen.

How long does it take you to write a book?
My first book took about three months. My second book, I wrote it during NaNo WriMo, so, it took thirty days.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
Since I’m a teacher, I generally write when I come home from work. Mostly every other day. Or I write from Monday to Thursday.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I do a lot of research before and during writing. I think that would be my quirk.

How do your books get published?
At this time, I self-publish via Create Space and Amazon KDP.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
My information comes from current event and sometimes reading situations people went through via multiple social media platform.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I wrote my first book last year, I was forty-six.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love learning, reading, and studying. I also like to peruse various social media platforms.

What does your family think of your writing?
My family is supportive of my writing. My husband has been encouraging me for years to write.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I could always right non-fiction and technical pieces. I found it surprising that writing fiction was so challenging. Showing and not telling was and probably still is one of my biggest hurdles.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written two books. My favorite is “The Shoulders On Which I Stand”. Actually, I like both of them pretty good, they go in two different directions.


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Do a lot of reading. Use the various thesauri out there. Join various writing and author groups to receive tips on improving your writing.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I’m fairly new, so I haven’t heard from my readers much. But the ones I have heard from enjoy the stories.

Do you like to create books for adults? Yes, I do!
You can follow Karimah on the following social media sites:

Visit her blog and website at:

Visit her author pages at:

No comments:

Post a Comment